Thursday, January 22, 2009

What is Journalism For?

When I pondered the question “What is Journalism For?” I discovered that there were a number of concepts. There was not one solitary answer. I believe that journalism gives me a voice I do not often have the opportunity to express. It is also an educational tool. It gives journalists the ability to express themselves freely. However, there are a number of challenges that Journalists face. Journalism is a field that can allow for freedom of expression, without immediate interference.

Changing peoples’ perceptions is one of the main values that is important to me. I believe that Journalism is a vehicle that will assist me in accomplishing this goal. It gives me a voice that I can express loud and clear. In doing so, I hope to provide a voice for those who feel incapable. It is one of my aspirations to pave the way for others who might not have the role models or courage to do so themselves.

In my view, Journalism is a vital educational tool. People need to know what’s going on around them. One of the main roles of a Journalist that I have is to find the truth and the story that lies beneath it. This is not always possible, but in my opinion, a good Journalist strives to achieve this. It’s in my nature to be curious and I believe that Journalism will feed this insatiable hunger.

One of the responsibilities of a dedicated Journalist is to present the audience with a variety of angles, in order for them to make an informed decision. Therefore; this should create a more self-aware, open-minded public.

Another attribute that draws me to the field of Journalism is the platform to express myself freely. Though I realize that there are challenges in the field, I hope to navigate through.

Through my studies so far, I have grown to understand my own values and beliefs on various social justice issues. I have acquired my voice and have learned that I have something of value to share. I find that in my experience, no one is writing about the issues I find important. I want to explore and address these issues more thoroughly.

It will teach me to express my thoughts more effectively. As a person from a minority people group, (physically disabled) I believe a Journalism degree will expand my ability to use my voice not only for myself but for others in my community. I have faced and broken down many obstacles throughout my life, and I hope to use my writing to support others in similar situations. A Journalism degree will give me the skills I need to accomplish my goals in this area.

No comments: